Sunday, January 5, 2014

Is Christian Metal Really Metal?

Is Christian Metal Really Metal? This is an interesting question for both Metal and Non-Metal fans alike. The idea of having strong Christian based lyrics in aggressive music might sound foreign to a listener who is unfamiliar with modern Metal. I have seen many Christian Metal/Hardcore bands perform, and I have to be honest, it confuses me every time.

Many modern Metal bands such as The Devil Wears Prada, Sleeping Giant, and August Burns Red, have used their live shows and album sales as preaching grounds.  They'll sing (or scream about) god and talk about their faith on stage. As an active member in the Metal/Hardcore scene, I just end up scratching my head and asking "why?"

I personally view Christianity simply as you are subservient to a master.  Metal is about ones own personal strength. We are not slaves and we are not subservient to anything. We find power in ourselves. Haters gonna hate.

Another head scratching reason why Christian Metal just doesn't make sense is the whole "Moshing for Jesus" thing. I'm talking about when concert goers (yes I am guilty) are Moshing to Christian or worship filled lyrics. Now I have been in many pits, and let me just tell you that when i'm in there swinging violently and pushing other people to the ground, i'm not thinking about anything Christian like.

However, with all this being said, I do support bands who write positive messages in their lyrics.  I think it is great when a musician can sing about the good in people or taking ownership to ones faults. I do believe there is a big difference in worshiping a god in a song and singing about a positive message.

I have been in the scene for 9 years now and have never figured this one out. This is just one Hardcore kids opinion. Haters Gonna Hate.


-Johnny Fright

No comments:

Post a Comment